The last weekend was full of hard work, but it paid out, and now we can proudly announce that the roomforming is completed.
Many walls had to fall and it took us a lot of time to discover all the screws that the builders of the walls had hidden, but we made it and shackspace 2.0 is now looking as shown on this sketch (click to enlarge).

The last walls to fall weren’t needed for any other purpose so three hackers killed them the hacker way ;)

flattr this!

Doing our part for the reunification of countr^W rooms :)

flattr this!

The ongoing renovation and expansion of shackspace also allowed us to build a new home for our servers.
By now the server room walls are fully covered with sound insulation foam to keep noise levels low in the rest of the space.
We also reverse engineered the former LAN-infrastructure of the Building and pulled existing Cat5 (sadly, no Cat5e) cables down from the 2nd floor to our rooms in the 1st floor.
Now that the server room now is nearly ready for the racks we will start to bring in 2 40RU racks for the servers and 1 smaller rack for the network infrastructure.
Thanks to all the helpers who made it possible to get so far within a few days.

flattr this!

Late Friday afternoon and all of Saturday we were hard at work at the new shackspace location, moving walls and trying to get the old (and admittedly kind of disgusting) office carpet removed.

Removing the walls is pretty tedious but well manageable working in teams.  However, we noticed that that removing the walls was not possible without causing some damage to ceiling, pillars and flooring which we’ll have to fix later on.

The first image is a partial view of the largest room we’ll have, the open hacker’s lounge.  The lounge will cover almost the same space as the whole of shackspace 1.0 (100 to 120sqm), so everyone can look forward to a nice, big, central community area.

What’s not working out so well is removing the old carpet.  Someone thought it would be nice to glue the carpet to the floor by putting glue everywhere.  This, combined with the fact that the carpet has been in there for what feels like decades caused carpet and screed to pretty much become inseparable (as can be seen in the second photo on the left).  Since this wasn’t exactly planned for we’ll now have to look for alternatives on how to deal with this without causing more damage than necessary to keep costs within limits.

With the tools we currently have access to it turns out that getting the carpet out in just one weekend won’t be happening.  As always, work in progress :)

We’ve also set up a gallery specifically for the move to the new location dubbed 0xff (the address is Ulmer Strasse 255).  There should be more photos coming in over the next few days.

flattr this!

Dieses Wochenende legen wir im shack 2.0 richtig los und nehmen nicht nur Geräte und Material sondern auch viel Geld in die Hand.  Dieses Geld kommt momentan aus dem privaten Geldbeutel von einigen großzügigen Mitgliedern.  In den nächsten 10 Tagen werden wahrscheinlich weitere bis zu 1000 EUR augegeben.

Wie beim Einzug in den shack 1.0 und anderen Aktionen wollen wir diese Kosten natürlich gemeinsam tragen, damit niemand dabei arm wird und jeder etwas dazu beiträgt.  Wir haben knapp 100 Mitglieder, wenn jeder von uns zwischen 10 und 50 EUR spendet (gerne natürlich mehr), bekommen wir ausreichend Geld zusammen um die wichtigsten Renovierungsarbeiten durchzuführen. Selbstverständlich würden wir uns auch an Spenden von nicht-Mitgliedern erfreuen. Darum die Bitte:
Spendet für unser Umzugs-Projekt!

Und so einfach gehts: Per Überweisung den gewünschten Betrag mit
Angabe der Projektnummer auf das Vereinskonto überweisen

Inhaber:  shack e.V.
BLZ:      43060967
Konto:    7016809500
Betreff 1: "Spende Projekt 100006"
Betreff 2: "(optional) Mitglied ID XXX"

Alternativ kann auch via Flattr und Paypal gespendet werden. Details hierzu finden Sich auf der rescue shackspace Website.
Die ersten Spenden sind bereits eingegangen, macht mit! :)

flattr this!